Is a wine tasting class the same as a wine education course? At SDSU, our wine courses combine wine tasting and wine education. It's a combination of lecture, reading, and tasting – a holistic approach to wine. If you're considering taking sommelier classes, our Professional Certificate in the Business of Wine program prepares you for the Sommelier exam and helps you train for success in wine-related occupations.
Core Courses (all required)
Exploring Wine (18 hours)
Wine Making Behind the Scenes (nine hours)
Business Opportunities in the Wine Industry (15 hours)
Dynamic Wine and Food Pairing (six hours)
Elective Courses (two required)
The Character of Wine (nine hours)
Wine Flaws and Faults (six hours)
Wine List Creation (nine hours)
Sensory Evaluation (six hours)
Importing and Distribution (12 hours)
(three required; nine hours each)
South American Wines
Riedel Wine Seminar – this special seminar is not a course within the Business of Wine certificate program.
A reduced fee for SDSU alumni and Meeting and Event Planning students is available. Please call the CES registration office at (619) 594-5152 to register using the SDSU alumni or Meeting and Event Planning fee. Double discounts or retroactive discounts are not allowed.
Business of Wine Advisory Board
- Jesse Rodriguez, DWSET, CWE, Advanced Sommelier, Proprietor, Kaizen Wine Inc.
- Lisa Lipton, past national chair, American Institute of Food & Wine
- Michael A. Cheatham, CSW, CSS, WLS, CSWE, independent wine educator and consultant
- Jim Kern
- Linda Kissam, owner, Kissam Consulting
- William Byxbee, dean emeritus, SDSU College of Extended Studies
- Carl Winston, director, SDSU's School of Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Peggy Evans, executive director, Temecula Valley Winegrowers Association
- Lisa Redwine, advanced sommelier, and sales representative for Regal Wine Company
- Gus Vizgirda, winemaker, Wilson Creek Winery
- Deborah Lazear, CSW, owner, Wine and Food: Uncorked
- Ken Mills, CEO/president, Wine Steals
SDSU's College of Extended Studies would like to express special thanks to all Business of Wine guest speakers and to the companies listed here for contributing to the program's success.
Wilson Creek Winery
South Coast Winery Resort & Spa
Orfila Vineyards and Winery
San Diego City Beat
SDSU Research Foundation Program
The College of Extended Studies is a State-approved provider for the Federal Workforce Investment Act for this program.
What some of our certificate graduates are doing now:
Carolyn - wine buyer/specialist for a major upscale grocery store
Eddie - tasting room sales associate
Jim - launching own wine brand and developing a vineyard in the Santa Rita Hills
Juan - owner of a wine import/export business
Michael - CSW, CSWE, independent wine consultant and educator
Mitch - sommelier at Rancho Valencia Resort in Rancho Santa Fe
Sandy - owner of The Wine Pub
Susan - owner of The Rose Wine Pub
Traci - owner of Splash Wine Lounge
Wine Spectator's Grand Award
Instructor Jesse Rodriguez creates award winning wine list.
Lisa Redwine in U~T San Diego
Winter is the time for rich, full-bodied wine
Education is taking business of wine to new level
The Business of Wine program is a proud member of:
Follow the Business of Wine on Facebook