The SDSU Writers' Conference offers two distinct opportunities – Advance Reading Appointments and Consultation Appointments – to meet top editors, agents, and industry professionals one-on-one to go over your work and offer specific advice about how to take your project forward. Editors, agents, and industry professionals will be available to discuss many specific subject areas. Please review agent and editor biographies and their areas of interest before requesting your appointments.
Advance Reading Appointments
These one-on-one appointments require that you submit the opening ten pages of your manuscript to be read in advance of your appointment. These appointments are best suited for advanced writers. Both editors and agents will participate in advance reading appointments. These appointments are 10 minutes in length.
Advance Reading Appointment Deadline: Fees and manuscript pages must be emailed or postmarked no later than January 6, 2015.
A completed submission consists of: 1. Conference registration fees, 2. Appointment fees, 3. Appointment form, 4. The first ten pages of your manuscript typed, double-spaced, with your name and page number on each page.
If submissions have been sent, but fees have not been paid by January 6, 2015, your submission will be considered late and not accepted. No advance reading appointments will be scheduled after the January 6 deadline. Submissions not picked up at scheduled appointments will not be returned.
Consultation appointments are designed as an opportunity for question-and-answer discussions with a publishing professional. If appropriate, you may bring a one-page synopsis to generate greater understanding of your specific project. However these sessions should NOT be considered only as an opportunity to "pitch" to particular faculty members regarding their interest in publishing or representing your specific project. Rather, these sessions should be an opportunity to receive information, constructive criticism and/or to hear general feedback concerning the viability, marketability, or quality of your idea or synopsis. Both editors and agents will participate in consultation appointments. These appointments are 10 minutes in length.
Consultation Appointment Deadline: Fees must be received by January 21, 2015.
A completed submission consists of: 1. Conference registration fees, 2. Appointment fees, 3. Appointment form.
If editors and agents have available appointments, consultation appointments may be purchased at the conference on Friday and Saturday. No appointments will be scheduled after 10 am Saturday. Please note: no guarantees are made that appointments will be available after the January 21 deadline.
Rules and Guidelines for Making Appointments
Each participant may schedule up to five appointments with attending editors and agents. Consultation and advance reading appointments may be scheduled in any combination up to five, however in the interest of fairness, only two advance reading appointments are allowed per conference participant. Requests for appointments that do not conform to guidelines will be returned unscheduled.
- If you haven't already done so, register for our conference. You must have registered and paid conference fees before you can sign up for appointments.
- Consult the biographies of the editors and agents to determine the best person with whom to discuss your work. Consultations are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Requested editors or agents are not guaranteed. Please select three-five agents or editors for each appointment you are requesting, in case your first choice is not available.
- Register and pay for your appointments (you'll need the approval code provided in your registration confirmation).
- Complete the Appointment form. We ask that you complete the form electronically. If you are unable to do so electronically, print and complete the form.
- Send your completed submissions electronically to email@example.com, or by mail to the address listed below.
- Your appointment schedule will be distributed to you when you check in at the conference.
Type of Appointments Requested
Consultation Appointments Only
What You need to Submit
Appointment form. Do not send your manuscript pages or synopsis. If desired, you may bring them to your appointment during the conference.
Advance Reading Appointments Only
Consultation and Advance Reading Appointments
Appointment form and one copy of the first 10 pages of your manuscript. If using a single appointment request form, please be advised that none of your appointments will be scheduled until your advance reading manuscript pages are received.
- Preferred file format for email submissions is PDF. Having technical problems? We accept submissions via mail. If sending by mail, use a 9x12 envelope and send to:
College of Extended Studies
Attn: SDSU Writers' Conference (Appointments)
5250 Campanile Drive, Room 2503
San Diego, CA 92182-1920
- Late or faxed submissions will not be accepted.
- Payment of fees alone will not reserve any appointments. We must also receive your appointment form and, if applicable, your first 10 manuscript pages in order to schedule any appointments.
- Missed appointments will not be rescheduled or refunded.