The SDSU Writers' Conference offers two distinct opportunities – Advance Reading Appointments and Consultation Appointments – to meet top editors, agents, and industry professionals one-on-one to go over your work and offer specific advice about how to take your project forward. Please review agent and editor biographies and their specific literary genres before requesting your appointments.
Advance Reading Appointments
These one-on-one, 10-minute appointments with editors and agents require that you submit the opening 10 pages of your manuscript to be read in advance. These appointments are best suited for advanced writers.
Deadline: Fees and manuscript pages must be postmarked or emailed by no later than January 6, 2015.
A completed submission consists of: 1. Conference registration fees, 2. Appointment fees, 3. Appointment form, 4. The first 10 pages of your manuscript typed, double-spaced, with your name and page number on each page.
If submissions have been sent, but fees have not been paid by January 6, 2015, your submission will be considered late and not accepted. No advance reading appointments will be scheduled after the January 6 deadline. Submissions not picked up at scheduled appointments will not be returned.
These one-on-one, 10-minute appointments with editors and agents are a question-and-answer opportunity. To generate greater understanding of your project, you may bring a one-page synopsis. However these sessions should NOT be considered only as an opportunity to "pitch" to particular faculty members regarding their interest in publishing or representing your project. Rather, these sessions are for receiving constructive criticism and general feedback concerning the viability, marketability, or quality of your idea or synopsis.
Deadline: Fees must be received by January 21, 2015.
A completed submission consists of: 1. Conference registration fees, 2. Appointment fees, 3. Appointment form.
If Consultation Appointments are available after the deadline, you may purchase a session at the conference on Friday, and up to 10 am Saturday. There are no guarantees that appointments will be available after the January 21 deadline.
Rules and Guidelines for Making Appointments
You may schedule up to five appointments in any combination, however Advance Reading Appointments are limited to no more than two per person, to give every attendee an opportunity. Requests for appointments that do not conform to guidelines will be returned unscheduled.
- If you haven't already done so, register for our conference. You must have registered and paid conference fees before you can sign up for appointments.
- Consult the agent and editor biographies to determine the best person with whom to discuss your work. Appointments are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Requested editors or agents are not guaranteed, so please select three to five agents or editors for each appointment, in case your first choice is not available. Note: If available, you will always be scheduled with your first choice. Do not use the same editor/agent as the first choice for each appointment unless you want multiple appointments with that person. Providing only one choice per appointment may delay your scheduling while we attempt to contact you.
- Register and pay for your appointments You'll need the approval code provided in your conference registration confirmation.
- Complete the Appointment Form electronically. If you are unable to do so electronically, print and complete the form.
- Send your completed submissions (preferred file format for email attachments is PDF) electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail (use a 9x12 envelope) to
College of Extended Studies
Attn: SDSU Writers' Conference (Appointments)
5250 Campanile Drive, Room 2503
San Diego, CA 92182-1920
- You’ll receive your appointment schedule when you check in at the conference.
Type of Appointments Requested
Consultation Appointments Only
What You need to Submit
Appointment form. Do not send manuscript pages or synopsis (bring them to your appointment if desired).
Advance Reading Appointments Only
Consultation and Advance Reading Appointments
Appointment form and one copy of the first 10 pages of your manuscript. Please note, your Consultation will not be scheduled until your Advance Reading manuscript pages are received.
- Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Payment of fees alone will not reserve any appointments. We must also receive your appointment form and, if applicable, your first 10 manuscript pages.
- Missed appointments will not be rescheduled or refunded.
Never Stop Learning . . . Dreaming . . . Writing . . .
SDSU College of Extended Studies
5250 Campanile Drive
San Diego CA 92182-1925