Professional Wine & Cuisine Immersion in Spain
Catalonia, Rioja, and Basque Regions
Overview | Features & Highlights | Course Information | Cost | Payment Schedule | Contact
Take your knowledge of wine – and your sense of carpe diem – to the next level via a private, guided immersion in some of Spain’s most renowned wine and food regions. Contrast the traditions of centuries-old wineries with those of modern ones, sample wines straight from the barrel, walk through vineyards by the sea, learn the harvest process, prune grapevines, and even crush grapes underfoot. Along the way, dine everywhere from an ancient wine cave to a medieval village to modernist pintxos bars.
Catalonia, Rioja, and Basque regions of Spain
ZaporeaZ/GS incoming – The professional guides of ZaporeaZ are locals, experts in their field of wine and food knowledge. For program feature and itinerary questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program Features & Highlights
- 24-Hour Bilingual, Local Guide
- Private Transportation
- Private, Sommelier-Level Tours
- Private Wine & Food Tastings at Wineries & Restaurants
- Private Tours of Vineyards and Museums
- Private Wine Classes Daily
- Tour the famous Cava Winery in the Penedès region of Catalonia (with lunch and wine tasting)
- Dine in San Sebastián (Basque Country), one of the best food destinations in the world
- Visit one of the best museums of wine in the world in Rioja; have lunch in an old-century wine cave
- Visit a small family wine-cave by the hills of the Ebro River
- Tour the world-famous Txakoli Winery – home of Txakoli white wine
- Tour the Idiazabal Cheese Factory – cheese produced only in this part of the globe
Number of Participants
12 minimum and 16 maximum
Deborah Lazear is a program advisor, instructor, and curriculum author with the Business of Wine Professional Certificate program at SDSU’s College of Extended Studies, for which she was Teacher of the Year in 2005. She is also the owner Wine & Food: Uncorked, a wine education school in Phoenix, AZ, for which she is also an educator and curriculum author. Her professional certifications include Certified Specialist of Wine, Society of Wine Educators; certified Spanish Wine Educator; and French Wine Society Master-level Rhône educator. Lazear has also written wine columns for San Diego Woman Magazine, Corte Bella News, Occasions Magazine, and VinVillage.com.
12 hours of instruction count toward 1 elective or intensive course in the Business of Wine Professional Certificate program
$4,227 (based on double occupancy)
$5,117 (based on single occupancy)
Price is based on 12 participants. The price will decrease with more than 12 participants.
Included in Cost
- Tuition for Business of Wine Professional Certificate elective or intensive course
- Accommodations (4-star hotels)
- Daily breakfast, 7 lunches, 3-4 dinners
- Private transportation throughout
- Private guided tours
- All wine tastings and excursions
Not Included in Cost
- Travel insurance (recommended)
Participants are responsible for making their own travel arrangements as airfare is not included in the program price. In the event the program is cancelled, the College of Extended Studies does not accept responsibility for any airfare cancellation fees incurred.
$199 due August 15, 2015
*Payments made to ZaporeaZ/GS incoming are due in euros (€). Dollar estimates were made December 15, 2014 with a conversion rate of 1 USD = 0.8045 EUR.
Terms & Conditions
ZaporeaZ/GS incoming Cancellation Policy.
Registration Opens Soon
For questions about payments, registration, and insurance requirements, please contact:
Giana Rodriguez, Program Director
College of Extended Studies
Phone: (619) 594-3986