Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)
The MyCAA program provides up to $4,000 ($2,000 per fiscal year) of workforce development scholarships to eligible military spouses who are pursuing a license, certification or associate's degree in a portable career field and occupation.
Financial Assistance Guidelines
- Be available to spouses of active duty service members in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2
- Offer a maximum financial benefit of $4,000 with a fiscal year cap of $2,000. Waivers will be available for spouses pursuing licensure or certification up to the total maximum assistance of $4,000
- Provide benefits for spouse while service members are on Title 10 orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and reserve component in the same pay grades
Are You Eligible?
Find out at www.MilitaryOneSource.mil or MyCAA (https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/MyCAA). Once eligibility has been established with Military OneSource you will receive notification through MyCAA's online message system.
Choose classes and programs from San Diego State University's College of Extended Studies that will lead you into a nationally portable, high-growth, high-demand career. Classes are available either online or on-site at SDSU.
Approved Categories for Training
- Business Finance & Administrative
- Financial Services
- Health and Human Services
- Homeland Security
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
What You Need to Do
- Decide on a certificate program
- Before you register, an Educational and Training Plan (E&TP) needs to be created for MyCAA to approve the courses (go to the MyCAA website: https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa)
- A MyCAA portal needs to be created
- See below for the MyCAA E&TP Guidelines
- Upload the E&TP to the AI Portal for approval
- Register for certificate program using 3rd Party Billing option and information provided in your FA document
- Complete the Student MyCAA Responsibility Agreement
What We Need From You
- Financial Assistance (FA) document stating approval of certificate program
- Completed and signed Student MyCAA Responsibility Agreement
If changes need to be made to the FA request, you will either:
- Make the correction if not approved by the Spouse Career Center Consultant and then send the new approved FA document to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If approved, please call MyCAA (1-800-342-9647) to see if an edit can be made.
Definition of Terms
- Education and Training Plan (E&TP)
An Education and Training Plan (E&TP) identifies the spouse's education and career goal as well as the courses they are planning to take to help them meet their goal.
- Financial Assistance (FA) Document
A document given (via the MyCAA portal) to the spouse that the school will use as the basis for an invoice once the spouse's E&TP has been approved.
- MyCAA is a component of the DoD's Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO) program for career development and employment assistance.
- Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)
A computerized database of military sponsors, families and others worldwide who are entitled under the law to TRICARE benefits.
Military OneSource Links
MyCAA Education & Training Plan (E&TP) Guidelines
MyCAA Fact Sheet
How to Avoid Common Pitfalls with MyCAA
MyCAA Military Spouse FAQs
MyCAA Information and Assistance
1 (800) 342-9647 – Spouse Career and Education Opportunities Counselor
Military OneSource SECO Program – See NEW online Spouse Education and Career Opportunities