Program Overview | Courses | Beyond the Classroom | Payment Information | Application Deadline | Requirements | Contact
This immersion program offers students the opportunity to live in Madrid and study Spanish language and culture during the summer. Participants are provided a rich cross-cultural experience while taking courses at the Centro de Estudios Hispánicos, located at the Dehesa de la Villa campus of the Universidad Antonio de Nebrija. This is an academic program open to SDSU students and the general public.
$3,425 (4 units); $3,955 (6 units)
All participants are required to register for a minimum of four units of SDSU credit from the courses listed below. Classes are held daily, are taught by faculty from Centro de Estudios Hispánicos (CEHI) and focus on vocabulary, grammar, and conversation. Instruction is offered at various levels and participants will be placed according to proficiency.
- SPAN 201: Intermediate Spanish I (4 units)
- SPAN 202: Intermediate Spanish II (4 units)
- SPAN 211: Intermediate Conversation & Reading (3 units)
- SPAN 212: Intermediate Conversation & Writing (3 units)
- SPAN 299: Special Study (1-3 units)
- SPAN 301: Advanced Conversation & Reading (3 units)
- SPAN 302: Advanced Conversation & Writing (3 units)
- SPAN 340: Spanish Civilization (3 units)
- SPAN 350: Advanced Grammar (3 units)
- SPAN 405A: Survey Course in Spanish Literature (3 units)
- SPAN 405B: Survey Course in Spanish Literature (3 units)
- SPAN 499: Special Study (1-3 units)
Beyond the Classroom
This is a home-stay program and all participants will live with a Spanish speaking family. The home stay experience facilitates immersion into everyday life and helps improve conversational skills. CEHI selects all home stays and makes all placement arrangements. Breakfasts, Lunch and weekly laundry service are provided. Participants will have their own room, their own key and are free to come and go within the framework of the home stay rules.
A few weekday excursions to some of the major attractions of Madrid are included in the program fee and participants are encouraged to take part in these activities. Other half-day and full-day excursions are optional and not included in the program fee.
$1,060 (4 units) or $1,590 (6 units)
Included in the Fee
- Tuition: Four or six units of SDSU resident credit
- Home Stay
- International health insurance
- Some activities organized by the Centro de Estudios Hispánicos
- Two daily meals
- Weekly laundry service
- Pre-departure orientation
Not Included in the Fee
- Travel/trip cancellation insurance (recommended)
- Transportation to and from school
- Transportation to and from airport
- Optional tours and activities
March 15, 2014
Applications are accepted on a space-available basis.
Admissions and Prerequisites
- Open to SDSU students, students at other colleges and universities and the general public
- SDSU students must be in good academic standing and have completed SPAN 102 or academic equivalent
- Minimum age to participate is 18.
All participants must complete a mandatory pre-departure orientation. Details will be sent after acceptance into the program.
Participants are responsible for making their own travel arrangements as airfare is not included in the program fee. In the event the program is cancelled, the College of Extended studies does not accept responsibility for any airfare cancellation fees incurred.
Passport/Entry Exit Requirements
U.S. citizens must travel with a passport valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay and a return airline ticket. For entry/exit requirements and other important information, please visit Spain and Andorra Country Specific Information. All participants assume responsibility for obtaining the correct travel documents.
A faculty from SDSU’s Department of Spanish and Portuguese will accompany the group and serve as instructor of record. For questions about course approvals please contact::
SDSU Department of Spanish & Portuguese
Phone: (619) 594-6588
For questions about payments, registration, and insurance requirements please contact:
College of Extended Studies
Phone: (619) 594-0787